"Fado (translated as destiny or fate) is a music genre which can be traced from the 1820s in Portugal, but probably with much earlier origins. In popular belief, Fado is a form of music characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor. However, in reality Fado is simply a form of song which can be about anything, but must follow a certain structure.
The music is usually linked to the Portuguese word saudade (that has no match in English but it could be understood as nostalgia felt while missing someone), a word describing a sentiment. The word "pine", sharing the same root as the portuguese word "pena" (which has evolved to express the feeling of being sorry for someone) seems to describe the meaning of the word saudade only in very crude terms as a feeling of nostalgia, or longing, which is agreed by translators to not be an accurate description.Furthermore, because the word pine is actually a verb in English whilst saudade is simply a noun, any translation using these two words would be inaccurate.
Some enthusiasts claim that Fado's origins are a mixture of African slave rhythms with the traditional music of Portuguese sailors and Arabic influence.
There are two main varieties of Fado, namely those of the cities of Lisbon and Coimbra. The Lisbon style is the most popular, while Coimbra's is the more refined style. Modern fado is popular in Portugal, and has produced many renowned musicians. According to tradition, to applaud fado in Lisbon you clap your hands, while in Coimbra one coughs like if clearing one's throat.
Mainstream fado performances during the 20th century included only a singer, a Portuguese guitar player and a classical guitar player but more recent settings range from singer and string quartet to full orchestra."
01. Alfredo Marceneiro - A Casa Da Mariquinhas
02. Carlos Ramos - Nao Venhas Tarde
03. Berta Cardosa - Tia Macheta
04. Hermina Silva - A Tendinha
05. Max - A Rosinha Dos Limoes
06. Maria Teresa De Noronha - Rosa Enjeitada
07. Antonio Dos Santos - Partir E Morrer Um Pouco
08. Lucilic Do Carmo - Foi Na Travessa Da Palha
09. Amalia Rodrigues - Foi Deus
10. Tony De Matos - Lisboa A Noite
11. Tristao Da Silva - Aquela Janela Virada Pro Mar
12. Vicente Da Camara - Fado Das Caldas
13. Fernando Farinha - Belos Tempos
14. Hermano Da Camara - Colchetes De Oiro
15. Antonio Mourao - Fadista Louco
16. Te-Embora - Fernanda Maria - Saudade Vai
17. Joao Ferreira Rosa - Embucado
18. Teresa Silva Carvalho - Amar
19. Carlos Do Carmo - Saudade Mal Do Fado
20. Joao Braga - Arraial
21. Maria Da Fe - Ate Que A Voz Me Doa
22. Nuno Da Camara Pereira - Carvalo Ruco